Board :Story Contest
Author :Archon Iyagi
Subject :2nd Place by Serengeti
Date :2/19
** You open up a box and within it find a series of letters sent.  You pick up the first note. **

Momma,

It's been a long, long time in coming, but I have decided that I must go and fight.  It has not been an easy thing writing you this letter.  It is right for me to defend our homeland - it is honorable and just.  I know what you're thinking - but father is no longer with us now, is he?  I need to do this for me.  Others from the village have gone, and it wouldn't be right if I didn't join them.  By the time you find this note, I will already be at the enlistment camp.  Don't cry for me, Momma, I'll be back before you know it.

-Your boy

** Setting the note aside, you pick up the next one. **

Momma,

I have been working hard at becoming a reliable member of my unit.  I've met some friends in our training exercises, though "friend" isn't the right word for what they are to me - "brothers" are a more suitable title for them.  We are learning a great deal, and I am confident this experience will pay off when we reach the battlefield.  You'd be so proud of me, Momma.  I'll write to you soon.

-Your boy

** You place that note back, and continue. **

Momma,

We've been walking for days, and it's rather cold, but our spirits are high.  Food seems to be a struggle for us, because we haven't been able to hunt in this harsh environment.  I don't particularly know where we are, other than east of the Northern mountains.  The captain says we'll be near the frontlines soon.  We all joke that the enemy will not be ready for our regiment.  Sometimes, I look up at the sky, and I imagine you are staring at the same one.  I miss you Momma.

-Your boy

** You come to the final note in the pile, and read it. **

Momma,

Tomorrow we face the enemy.  We've come a long way for this moment, and I believe we're ready.  I have all my armor shined, and my weapons sharpened.  We have feasted tonight with our best food, and we have rested.  I continue to honor our family each day, and I know that you are proud of your boy.  Soon, I will be home, and back with you on the farm.  I will have many stories to share with you then.

-Your boy

** Upon returning the letters arranged neatly, you come to the other item resting in the box.  A lonely tattered piece of cloth.  This item brings you some mixed emotions: profound sadness and eternal respect. **

-Serengeti